Americans do not add O and A to legitimize themselves; gringO y gringA todos.
Unsurprisingly, the presence of this large immigrant group is affecting the way Hispanics think of themselves. One aspect of the report that is bound to provoke controversy — and, in some quarters, resentment — is how few Hispanics identify themselves first and foremost as Americans. Only 8 percent of immigrants, 35 percent of second-generation Hispanics and 48 percent of third-generation Hispanics do, according to the Pew study. The question is, why?
Census count finds decreasing white population in 15 states
Interactive: Mapping the census
Nearly twenty years ago, Eugene McCarthy warned you. Quoting from Three Quarter Cadillac: “If one thinks of the classic definition of colonialism—the arrival of a large number of people who impose their cultural values and language on the preexisting society—it is hard not to define the current wave of immigration as a colonizing force on the United States. What distinguishes the United States from other colonized societies is that we have the power to prevent it, and choose not to use it. The backward societies of Asia and Africa were powerless to oppose the colonial hegemony exercised by the European powers in centuries past. We, on the other hand, have come to question whether the culture that built a society that has the world beating a path to our doors is even worth trying to preserve. In this social climate, immigration becomes an instrument of divisiveness, as it imposes new cultures and languages on American society.” 47
Eugene McCarthy, A Colony of the World: The United States Today, (New York: Hippocrene Books, 1992), 101.
You weren’t paying attention.
Obama administration widens challenges to state immigration laws
Jerry Markon, Published: September 29
The Obama administration is escalating its crackdown on tough immigration laws, with lawyers reviewing four new state statutes to determine whether the federal government will take the extraordinary step of challenging the measures in court.
Justice Department lawyers have sued Arizona and Alabama, where a federal judge on Wednesday allowed key parts of that state’s immigration law to take effect but blocked other provisions. Federal lawyers are talking to Utah officials about a third possible lawsuit and are considering legal challenges in Georgia, Indiana and South Carolina, according to court documents and government officials.
The level of federal intervention is highly unusual, legal experts said, especially because civil rights groups already have sued most of those states. Typically, the government files briefs or seeks to intervene in other lawsuits filed against state statutes.
“I don’t recall any time in history that the Justice Department has so aggressively challenged state laws,” said Jonathan Turley, a constitutional law expert at George Washington University Law School.
The legal skirmishing comes as immigration emerges as a defining issue in the presidential campaign and Hispanic voters play an increasingly influential role. Most Republican candidates are calling for a hard line on the nation’s estimated 12 million illegal immigrants — and criticizing Texas Gov. Rick Perry for some of his positions on the issue.
President Obama is staking out a position on the other side. He told a roundtable of Latino reporters Wednesday that Arizona’s immigration law created “a great danger that naturalized citizens, individuals with Latino surnames, potentially could be vulnerable to questioning. The laws could be potentially abused in ways that were not fair to Latino citizens.”
The Arizona law passed last year — requiring police to check immigration status if they stop someone while enforcing other laws — triggered a fierce national debate. A Justice Department lawsuit led federal courts to block that measure’s most contested provisions, but similar laws have been approved in recent months in Alabama, Utah, Georgia, Indiana and South Carolina. At least 17 other states have considered such measures this year.
Although Wednesday’s ruling in Alabama was something of a setback, the Justice Department and civil rights groups have been on a winning streak. The American Civil Liberties Union and other groups have obtained rulings temporarily blocking all or key parts of immigration laws in Utah, Georgia and Indiana, with Republican- and Democrat-appointed judges blasting the measures as devoid of due-process protections or for targeting illegal immigrants.
Now, the administration is under pressure from some quarters to intervene in those states, as well as in South Carolina, where a new immigration law is set to take effect Jan. 1. Civil rights groups have been lobbying the executive branch, according to people familiar with the effort, and the ACLU is circulating an online petition calling for federal laws
Utah, by contrast, is urging the government to stay out of court. Mark Shurtleff, Utah’s Republican attorney general, has met with senior Justice officials, who he said are considering whether to join the civil rights lawsuit as a plaintiff.
“We believe our defense is much better if the Justice Department is not the one saying our law is superseded by federal law,” said Shurtleff, who added that Utah “worked very hard and carefully to make our law different from Arizona” so it is constitutiona
Conservatives have criticized the Obama administration for suing Arizona, and some legal observers said they detect political motives in the administration’s additional legal steps. The White House has been trying to rekindle excitement among Hispanic voters, many of whom have been disappointed over Obama’s immigration policies.
Justice officials have denied any political motives and said they are proceeding based on the facts and the law. Obama and Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. have been critical of the state measures, with the president also telling Wednesday’s roundtable, “We can’t have a patchwork of 50 states with 50 different immigration laws.”
Xochitl Hinojosa, a Justice Department spokeswoman, said lawyers are reviewing the Utah, Indiana, Georgia and South Carolina laws and the “legal principles” established in the Arizona case.
“Based on that review and applying those principles, the United States will decide whether and when to bring suit challenging particular state laws,” Hinojosa said.
Hovering over the debate is the possible involvement of the Supreme Court. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit ruled in April that the most contested parts of Arizona’s immigration law will remain blocked from taking effect, and the high court could decide to hear the case this term. That would mean a decision before the 2012 presidential election.
“My guess is that they will take it,” said Jonathan Benner, a Washington lawyer who has argued numerous cases involving federal-state conflicts. “This is the kind of case that is most interesting to the Supreme Court.”
The other state statutes include a range of provisions, such as authorizing police to question people’s immigration status in certain circumstances, limiting the ability of immigrants to use some forms of identification and criminalizing the harboring of illegal immigrants.
The Justice Department and civil rights groups are arguing that the laws will lead to harassment of immigrants or racial profiling and that they are “preempted” under federal law, which gives the U.S. government control of immigration enforcement.
“You’d have to be crazy to pass one of these laws, knowing you’re buying yourself an enormous lawsuit,” said Cecillia D. Wang, director of the ACLU Immigrants’ Rights Project. She called the Alabama statute, signed into law in June, “by far the most draconian and extreme.”
The Justice Department and a coalition of civil rights groups sued over the law, which requires public school officials to determine citizenship by seeking children’s birth certificates. Civil rights advocates say that will keep some children out of school because their parents will fear being deported.
On Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Sharon Blackburn allowed that provision to take effect, along with other elements of the law, until she can issue a final ruling. But she temporarily blocked other provisions, including those making it a crime for illegal immigrants to solicit work or to transport or harbor illegal immigrants.
Alabama lawyers have backed the law’s constitutionality, and Gov. Robert Bentley (R) on Wednesday called it “the strongest immigration law in the country.” Other states also have defended their laws.
But some judges have been highly critical. In Indiana, U.S. District Judge Sarah Evans Barker in June blocked the two most contested parts of that state’s law. The provisions would authorize warrantless arrests of illegal immigrants in certain circumstances and make it a crime to accept an identification card used by many immigrants.
Barker, an appointee of President Ronald Reagan, called the law “seriously flawed” and said parts of the state’s defense were “entirely fanciful.”
Indiana officials are defending their law, and Greg Zoeller (R), the state’s attorney general, said the judge’s ruling “can be seen as an indictment of the federal government on their failure to enact and enforce immigration policy.”
What illegal needs America-hating support groups such as the ACLU or LaRaza when they have the Obama administration?
9/29/2011 12:57:41 PM EDT
What next; voter registration (in Spanish) at 7/11 convenience stores? Holder and Obama must go. This is getting beyond ridiculous.
9/29/2011 12:57:47 PM EDT
If you haven’t noticed, all official communication regarding Metro, Work Place Laws, etc. is coming out in English and Spanish.
9/29/2011 12:59:05 PM EDT
Gotta make sure they stay in the country at least until november 2012 – obama will need avery vote (legal or not) he can get
9/29/2011 12:58:05 PM EDT
At what point in time will Team Obama start realizing that states are taking action BECAUSE TEAM OBAMA HAS FAILED?
WOW! And he wants folks to reelect him!!!!
9/29/2011 12:58:35 PM EDT
This is perhaps the only area where I agree with the Obama admistration. Cracking down on “illegal immigrants” is tatamount to class warfare. Removing illegals from the workforce benefits citizens at the lowest end of the earnings distribution at the expense of small business owners who hire these workers on a catcha-as-catch can baisis. Not only will this impede economic activity, it does so at the expense of the US tax payers.
9/29/2011 12:58:38 PM EDT
Can you Yanks increase the bile and hatred you have toward each other please.?
You’re coming across as a namby-pamby bunch of whiners…..
Let’s see some anger.
I want my money’s worth!
9/29/2011 1:03:19 PM ED
This comment has been deleted by a moderator for violating the site’s discussion policy.
9/29/2011 1:04:19 PM EDT
And the states are left holding the bag to pay for education and health care for illegal immigrants. Maryland has to shell out something close to $1.8 billion per year to support illegal aliens.
9/29/2011 1:16:00 PM EDT
Being able to count illegal residents in the Census allows California to have disproportionate representation in the Electoral College-maybe the law needs to be changed that the distribution of Congressmembers be based only on the total of registered voters.
9/29/2011 2:42:03 PM EDT
Georgia is putting taxpayers on the hook for tens of millions to pay for detention beds, while killing it’s own cotten and fruit picking farming industries. It will be a financial windfall for Cheney’s and other for profit detention companies.
9/29/2011 1:18:35 PM EDT
Saying that not being able to violate the law and use illegal labor will kill agricultural industry is like saying that not being able to dump toxic waste in a river will kill our chemical and steel industries.
9/29/2011 2:35:30 PM EDT
1 in 12 babies born in the US today is the product of illegal immigration.
$113 BILLION wasted on illegals in 2009 (last available data).
16% of the population from So of the border yet 30% Federal incarceration rate.
71% of illegal households collect welfare.
END ANCHOR STATUS DEPORT
9/29/2011 1:19:38 PM ED
Actually BetsyRoss: It’s one in NINE, per a Pew Hispanic Study done in 2009. The cost to the American taxpayer is a staggering 30 billion dollars a year.
9/29/2011 7:15:18 PM EDT
In this country, we have a new reality where schools are strached by children of illigal immigrants (most of whom are religious yet have children before marriage), our welfare is stretched supporting their single mothers, our police/prisons are burdened by numbers of them incarcarated, commiting crime and gang violence that they have imported here. People who want to get a job cannot because the employers are afraid to hhire Americans and pay them under the table, but not illigals because they have no rights and hence cannot say anything. And I would probably be more understanding if they were running here because they are persecuted in their county or there is a genocide, but it is mere economic opportunity that they are coming here for and if you look at Mexico’s Current Account, the remitances from US is a big chunk oof it and mexican Government actually encouraged people to cross the border.
9/29/2011 1:19:52 PM EDT
The benefits of illegal immigrants pales in comparison to the cost to US taxpayers in Health care, welfare, schooling of the kids,out of proportion numbers engaged in criminal activities that necessitate jail time for some of these illegals.
For these reasons alone…Obama’s pandering for votes should make him a 1 term President as he ignores US Immigration laws.
9/29/2011 1:37:08 PM EDT
Remember when right wingers, such as Pat Buchanan, criticized Janet Reno for upholding our immigration laws in the Elian Gonzales case?
Didn’t they accuse her of bullying?
9/30/2011 6:12:36 PM EDT
WTF are you talking about? Elian Gonzalez was a custody case, not an immigration issue.
9/30/2011 9:43:51 PM EDT
Why would this lawless Administration ever want border security or enforcement of laws pertaining to
ILLEGALS? Illegals can vote, sometimes 3 or 4 times. All good and well for Obama.
9/30/2011 6:11:11 PM EDT
END ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION IN MARYLAND. STOP FUNDING CASA OF MARYLAND. NO IN-STATE COLLEGE TUITION FOR ILLEGAL ALIEN STUDENTS.
9/30/2011 4:58:07 PM EDT
Perhaps the only thing good that is coming out of our economic situation is that people are relearning what a shovel and yard tools are, since that is expense to outsource, even to illegal labor. And, magic side benefit, it is real exercise.
9/30/2011 4:53:56 PM EDT
- Comment on Iran
- Democracy In China Delayed
- Egypt Spring Election
- FACT Obama not a Leader
- Job Scams
- Obama and His Record
- Palestinian sic Egypt Spring
- 4th Virginia Textbook
- A Love Story
- ABC facts about China
- Acting like Assholes
- Afghanistan Behind US
- Afghanistan beyond 2011
- Afghanistan Pakistan Karzai
- Afghanistan Petraeus Karzai
- Afghanistan reality check
- Alabama what you think
- Amazing colorized photographs
- Amazing Elephant Rescue
- American Common Sense Immigration Reform
- American Dream in trouble
- American Military History
- Another Wall Street scam
- Arab Democracy touch of reality
- Arab Spring contrary opinion
- Arab Spring Egypt update
- Arab Spring ground zero
- Arab Spring in April
- Arab Spring in Mali cocaine
- Arab Spring Islamist Festival
- Arab Spring Outcome
- Arab Spring Reality
- Arab Spring Syria
- Arab Spring they hate US
- Arab Spring Update
- Arab Spring update
- Arab Spring update Libya
- Arizona Massacre
- Backward with Obama
- Bad Economy and the rich
- BAD parenting means BAD kids
- BEWARE Islam in America
- Beyond Devotion to Service
- Bin Laden Dead Never Forget
- Black Issues
- Boston Marathon Tragedy
- Break up BIG Banks
- British heroes Luftwaffe interviews
- British military decline
- Broken Government Serves Politicians
- Budget Battle Bust
- Bush Book Decision Points
- Bush broke IRAQ no ownership
- Bush’s Iraq
- Bush’s lasting legacy
- Cambridge Holiday
- Cancer is a Modern Disease
- Cancer treatment shows promise
- Change in China
- China Changes Leaders
- China Currency
- China going forward 2012
- China in Focus
- China is a Sleeping Dragon
- China IS Hacker Central
- China means cyber-warfare
- Chinese Advantages Problems
- Chinese business model
- Chinese consumerism
- Chris Christie don’t bet on it
- Christmas 2012
- Chronology of Failure
- Class warfare Facts
- Coca Cola secret formula
- Color photography 1940s
- coming soon Mexifornia
- Comment on 2012 Candidates
- Comment on the debt limit crisis
- Common Sense about Afghanistan
- Concentration Camps
- Conflict South China Sea
- Corporations NOT PAYING taxes
- Courage Faith Jessica Lynch
- Debt Deal Graphics
- Debt-ceiling imperative
- December 1860
- Declaration on Iran
- Decline and Fall of the American Dream
- Detroit Schools Archaeological Evidence
- Dick Cheney doinks history
- Dick Morris predicts the election
- Dick Morris spins Bain Romney
- Disgraceful Treatment of VETerans HE SAVED MANY
- Divided State of America
- Doolittle Raiders and Great War diary
- Dreams Deferred Dayton OH
- Dubya’s Disaster
- Economic Recovery – What Recovery?
- Education about education
- Education Means Individual Achievement
- Edward Snowden Dossier
- Egypt in reality
- Egypt under Morsi
- Egyptian democracy prospects
- Election 2010
- Election in Iran
- Emily Perez an example
- Energy Independence Happy Fourth
- Energy Issues
- Equality of Opportunity Based upon Merit
- European Affairs Greece
- European Civilization
- European Economics – Russia – Germany – France – Italy
- Explaining the Tea Party
- Fact Check
- Facts about China
- Facts About Climate Change
- Facts About Climate Change
- Facts About Entitlements
- Facts about Financial MELTdown
- Facts about High unEmployment
- Facts about Islam
- Facts About Medicare
- Facts about Mitt Romney
- Facts about NO Leadership and You
- Facts about North Korea
- FACTS about Obamacare
- Facts about Rick Santorum
- Facts about Taxes
- Facts about the debt deal
- Facts about the Iraq invasion
- Facts about the one perCent
- Facts about Trayvon Martin killing
- Facts on the Ground in Iraq
- Facts Rick Perry cronyism etc
- First Black Fighter Pilot Last Cavalry Charge
- Fiscal Cliff Chronology
- Fiscal Cliff Cometh
- Fiscal Cliff is here
- Flavor of the month Herman Cain
- Flood Photos
- Florida Foreclosures
- Forward with Obama
- Forward with Obamacare
- Four More Years
- Gas Attack in Syria
- Get Out of Afghanistan
- get the Money out of politics
- Global Warming is here
- Glory of God
- Goldman Sachs Naked and exposed Historical Inequality
- GOOD news POSITIVE stories
- Governor Walker is a Republican Ideologue
- Gridlock Corruption Bureaucracy Politics
- Grover Norquist
- Hackers SpyEye
- Hamas strikes out
- Hard Times then and now
- Henry Kissinger gives advice
- Honest Abe Savior and Martyr
- How Catholic bishops operate
- How Did We Get Into This Mess
- Hurricane Sandy Tragedy no one should die alone in darkness
- Ideology is ignorance
- Ideology is ignorance
- Illegal Immigration attitudes
- illegal immigration What You Think
- Importance of BEES Colony Collapse
- Internet Issues cyber-warfare
- Iranians and the Bomb
- Islam in America
- Islam in Europe
- Jesse Owens American Hero
- Jim Martin Letter 101st Airborne
- Jim Tressel
- Jobs Jobs Jobs
- Judas the Galilean and his Unterbrink writings
- Keith Olbermann ko’d
- Kennedy Assasination Eyewitnesses Video
- Kevin Phillips Predicts Future
- KFC conquers China
- Kick The comment on Comment
- La reConquista giving Our Country back to the Indians
- laissez faire capitalism – Where are the good jobs?
- Life in China
- Life in France
- Life in the United Kingdom
- Life in the United States of America
- Likely Libya Outcome
- Link to tornado videos
- Litigation in Libya
- Living in Paris
- Manufacturing creates wealth
- Marilyn Monroe unseen photographs
- Marine Life dying coral
- Memorial Day 2013
- METH MESSes You Up
- Michael Redd Bucks
- Middle Class economy 21st cen
- Middle Class fACTs
- Middle Class Stories Change for the American Dream
- Middle East History
- Middle East History Egypt Libya
- Middle East History Syria
- Middle East History Turkey
- Militant Islam
- Mindless VIOLENCE and Senseless Cruelty
- Mitt Romney Bain Capital 2012 election
- More Climate Change FACTS
- MORE Divided than Ever
- More of the Same?
- MORE Soldier Stories HELP Taylor Morris
- Mullahs want the bomb
- Muslim Brotherhood revealed
- Muslim Democracy
- Neil Armstrong last interview
- Never Forget 9 11 Essay
- NEW 9-11 video
- New Pearl Harbor account
- Newsweek how Dumb Are We?
- Norway Nutjob Anders Behring Breivik
- NYC imam True Face of Islam
- Obama abandons white working class
- Obama AD 2010
- Obama affect on America
- Obama and Middle East Peace
- Obama and Syria
- Obama is a Phony
- Obama no sense of humor
- Obama not the anti-Christ
- Obama Re-elected Watch Out
- Obama Scorecard
- Obama supports gay marriage
- Obamacare is Poison
- Obamacare is Poison
- Oceans are dying SOS planet
- Ohio State Marching Band Star Trek Video
- Oil Prices means speculators
- Old Men Who Don’t Care
- On Planet Krauthammer
- Opinion about Fracking
- Opinion about Newt Gingrich
- Opinion about Obama
- Opinion About Obamacare
- Opinion about Romney
- Oregon Somali Terrorist
- Our country committing suicide
- Our Friends in Pakistan
- Pakistan Protected Osama bin-Laden updated
- Palin a Phony?
- Palin Book Tour
- past Present FUTURE America
- Pay Attention
- People Need Good Jobs
- Pluto in Capricorn
- Polar Bear Family
- Political Correctness in the UK
- Prairie Chapel Ranch
- Pray for the Children
- Pray for the Children
- Predatory Chinese
- President Cruz le Snooze le Pew
- President Santorum
- Progress in Iraq no democracy
- Rare Earth
- Read This MEMO
- Reality in Libya
- Republican Mandate?
- Robert Bales should be executed
- Rolling Stones at Fifty
- Romney and Afghanistan
- Romney and His Record
- Romney no military service
- Ron Paul
- Ronald Reagan Tax Review
- Ronald Reagan true myths
- SAD Obama
- Santa Muerte
- Screwing US
- Secure Protect Your Data
- See The Evidence PHOTOGRAPHS
- Sesquicentennial of the Civil War
- Sgt Dennis Weichel and Afghanistan
- Snow Scenes around the world
- Soldier Stories
- SSG Johnson surprises Skylar – HAPPY
- State by State casualties Afghanistan
- State of our Democracy
- State of the Economy
- Stories about the After life Service is the currency of Salvation
- Stories World War I and II
- Supercommittee FAILure
- Syrian Spring updated
- Tea Party Hearty
- Ten Conditions for Change
- Ten Conditions for Change I
- Ten Conditions for Change II
- The 911 Conspiracy
- The Connected Class con
- The FED is private
- The Great Helmsman
- The Know Nothing President-cy
- The Rich Get Richer
- There are the Jobs
- This Is EVIL
- Trump for President
- Truth to power The People
- Tunisian Revolution
- UNDERWATER PHOTOGRAPHY
- Unfair Competition equals Free Trade
- Veterans Aging Prematurely
- Veterans Issues
- Washington’s Farewell Address
- Waterloo and Trafalgar
- WEAKest President in History
- What about Scientology
- What Does Romney Stand For
- What I wrote in 2008
- What President Morsi Really Thinks
- What you think about Obama
- What you think about Romney
- who cares gr$$dy NFL
- Why Americans hate their government
- Why Romney Lost
- Why the Arab Spring is important
- Wisdom about Fools
- Xi Jinping and China
- Xi Jinping new leader in China
- Zero Some Game