Dramatic rise in crystal meth casualties fuels fear of Australian ‘ice’ boom
Study finds 318% rise in number of occasions ambulances were called to emergencies related to drug in Melbourne
Ice, a crystalline form of methamphetamine, is usually smoked or applied intravenously. Photograph: AAP/Australian Federal Police
World Drug Report Reveals The Staggering Extent Of North America’s Meth Problem
and ruin your LIFE
Female college student, 19, dies in police custody after she ‘panicked’ and swallowed a bag of meth during traffic stop arrest
Man, 32, sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty to murdering two sisters while high on methamphetamine
From Drugs to Mugs: Shocking before and after images show the cost of drug addiction
The innocent ‘meth heads’: How more and more children are becoming victims of deadly drug as number of ‘shake and bake’ at-home labs skyrocket
Innocent: Children of meth addicts have emerged as the latest victims of the ravaging drug as some local law authorities estimate that in 90 per cent of home lab busts, neglected, abused and sick children are taken away
Teenage girl is left brain-damaged and blind after smoking synthetic marijuana she bought in a gas station and suffering series of strokes
Emily Bauer, 17, from Cypress, Texas, has been left with brain damage after smoking the fake weed and suffering a series of strokes. Doctors were forced to put her in a coma after the strokes left her in a psychotic-like state, during which she urinated on herself, ran into walls, hallucinated and acted violently. But Emily has not given up and, even when her family removed her feeding tube, she continued to fight for life.
Former life: Seventeen-year-old Emily Bauer started experiencing severe migraines in December, after smoking a synthetic weed she had bought from a gas station
‘Her body is covered in sores and her teeth are rotting’: The former America’s Next Top Model contestant battling a meth addiction
Before and after: Jael Strauss, a former contestant on America’s Next Top Model has spent six years struggling with drug addiction since she left the show
Efforts to ban synthetic marijuana prove to be difficult
By Elisha Anderson, Detroit Free Press
DETROIT – Mary Kait Hudson tried synthetic marijuana for the first time last October. The 17-year-old from Lake Orion and her friends bought it from a party store, mixed it with marijuana and smoked it.
“It worked pretty instant,” she recalled.
She began hallucinating and felt like she was in the shower. Then she blacked out. The next thing she remembers is waking up in her bed the next morning.
Hudson got hooked on the drug — often called K2, Spice or fake weed — and ended up in rehab. But the substance has been even more devastating for other users. Police believe two young men smoked it before they attacked a Farmington Hills family with baseball bats in April. A West Bloomfield teen killed by his grandmother tested positive for the substance, the grandmother’s attorney said. And police blame it for the overdose death of a young man in Bloomfield Township last weekend.
Now, Michigan lawmakers, police, judges, health professionals and parents say they’re on a mission to get the products banned.
It’s not the first time the state or federal government has tried to outlaw synthetic marijuana. In the last two years, both have banned certain chemicals that were being used to make the products.
Manufacturers quickly skirted the laws and developed new formulas. Today, it’s easy to find across much of the nation.
Last year, for the first time, high school seniors were asked in the annual Monitoring the Future survey, conducted by the University of Michigan, whether they had used the substance. About one in nine seniors said they had.
“We know it’s the tip of the iceberg, that abuse is much more common and hospitalization more common than you can tell by looking at our numbers,” said Dr. Susan Smolinske, managing director for the DMC Children’s Hospital of Michigan Regional Poison Center.
LOL no laughing matter
Synthetic marijuana is usually sold in packets or clear containers with names like Legal Devil, the Presidential, Demon, LOL, Tsunami and Scooby Snax. It comes in flavors like grape, blueberry, mango, strawberry, apple and watermelon.
The products are made up of plant material, not marijuana, and sprayed with chemicals that mimic THC, the active ingredient in marijuana. It doesn’t show up in many drug tests.
National Drug Control Policy Director Gil Kerlikowske said calling the product synthetic marijuana is a mistake because that term doesn’t convey the dangerousness of the drug.
Some variations can be legally purchased online, at gas stations, tobacco stores and various other outlets — usually for $5 to $50. It’s often marketed as incense or potpourri with a label that warns “not for human consumption.”
“That’s only with a wink and a nod because everyone realizes … that they’re buying it to be used for people to get high,” said special agent Rich Isaacson, spokesman for the Detroit division of the Drug Enforcement Administration.
Chemicals used in the products can be purchased from specialty companies in Europe, China and possibly the Cayman Islands, Isaacson said. Synthetic marijuana is manufactured in those areas as well as the U.S., according to the DEA.
The Free Press visited several stores in Detroit and found the product for sale in plain view but often behind glass.
Store owners or managers who sell it either didn’t return calls from the Free Press, said they’ve pulled the products from store shelves in the best interest of the community or said what they’ve sold isn’t illegal and isn’t meant to be smoked.
Spice in the spotlight
In recent weeks, synthetic marijuana has been thrust into the spotlight in Michigan in a series of incidents involving teens and young adults said to be using it.
In Farmington Hills, police say Tucker Cipriano, 19, and Mitchell Young, 20, smoked Spice before they attacked Cipriano’s family with baseball bats on April 16, killing his father and critically injuring his mother and brother.
In West Bloomfield, Jonathan Hoffman, 17, tested positive for Spice on May 18, the day police say his grandmother shot him to death, according to Jerome Sabbota, the grandmother’s attorney. Sabbota said Sandra Layne, 74, shot her grandson out of fear after he threatened her.
In Troy, a mother rushed to Raintree Park on May 17 after someone called to say her 15-year-old daughter, who had smoked Spice, was “freaking out,” according to police.
In Rochester Hills, police said a 27-year-old man tried to steal synthetic marijuana from a gas station May 20 and scuffled with the clerk.
And in Bloomfield Township, 18-year-old Oliver Satchel Smith was using synthetic marijuana before he died next to a private lake on May 26, police said. Toxicology results are pending.
“It’s very much on people’s minds,” said Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard, who with other county officials announced a campaign Friday to put decals in windows of businesses that pledge not to sell synthetic drugs.
Changes in behavior
Several metro Detroit parents can attest to the dangers of synthetic marijuana, describing how their children quickly went from happy and outgoing to troubled — experiencing mood swings, stealing from them and being withdrawn.
Mary Kait Hudson’s father, Jeff Hudson, said he knew something was wrong and questioned his daughter, but she denied drug use.
“She was putting a wedge between herself and family,” he said.
Mary Kait, who was smoking the substance up to five times a day, spent the night in the hospital after she was found passed out in a snow bank in February. She sought treatment and has been clean since Feb 13, but said she believes the use of synthetic marijuana has taken a toll on her body.
“My memory sucks,” she said. “Do I have holes in my brain?”
Lisa Kelly, 54, of Waterford said she couldn’t understand the changes in her son’s behavior and had him tested for drugs, but the results were clean.
Last summer, four years after she said the addiction started, she discovered what her son was using when he smoked what he told her was “flavored tobacco” at a cookout with family and friends.
Kelly said she wanted to know what it was, so she took a few hits.
“Within minutes … I was sick, I was dizzy, nauseated. My equilibrium was off,” she said. “My head, I couldn’t get it straight.”
Kelly said she has watched her son, now 20, lose control — fighting with his brother, being rushed to the hospital about four times and spending his money and hers to feed the addiction.
“It’s been a nightmare,” she said.
About a week ago, Kelly’s son — who asked not to be named — said he was ready to get help.
“He’s becoming more loving and back to himself,” she said.
More seek treatment
Dr. Alexander Sackeyfio, a psychiatrist in Farmington Hills, handles many emergency cases in which teens are rushed to Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak. Many of them become psychotic, see things and feel out of control after smoking synthetic marijuana.
“It is actually very, very dangerous,” he said. “If you have any propensity toward any psychotic illness … that will bring it out.”
The number of people seeking treatment at Michigan’s hospitals has risen dramatically in two years, according to reported cases.
In 2010, 16 people were treated in hospitals after using synthetic marijuana, statistics from the Children’s Hospital of Michigan Regional Poison Center show. That number jumped to 201 in 2011 and 185 through May of this year.
Smolinske of the poison center noted the numbers are likely much higher because hospitals aren’t required to report cases.
Some rules are already in place banning synthetic marijuana, but efforts are under way to strengthen those laws.
Michigan passed legislation in 2010 prohibiting seven substances frequently used to make synthetic marijuana. The DEA made five chemicals illegal last year.
That hasn’t stopped the legal sale of synthetic marijuana because manufacturers change the chemicals and often advertise on packaging that the product is a “100% legal blend” or does not contain “prohibited ingredients as per state law or DEA regulations.”
“Because it is legal, children and young adults believe it can’t be that dangerous, or we as a society would protect them from it,” said District Court Judge Kirsten Nielsen Hartig of Troy, who educates people on the products.
A bill introduced in both the state House and Senate would allow the state to temporarily ban a substance if the director of the Michigan Department of Community Health, working with the Michigan Board of Pharmacy, deems it an imminent danger to people’s health, said sponsor Sen. Rick Jones.
Another bill that passed in the state Senate with bipartisan support Thursday would make synthetic cannabinoids used in the products — as well as those that could be manufactured or sold down the road — illegal.
“We’re mostly trying to get at the manufacturers and those who sell it,” said Sen. Dave Hildenbrand, who introduced the bill. “If we get rid of that, then people can’t get their hands on it.”
Kerlikowske has encouraged states to take action, in part because they have regulatory power and can move quicker than the federal government. The U.S. Senate late last month passed legislation banning synthetic marijuana, but it still must be reconciled with a version passed in the House.
“This is without question a huge problem,” said the DEA’s Isaacson. “It’s finally coming to the forefront, but it’s something we’ve been talking about in our drug education presentations for a year and a half here in the Detroit area.”
Stores now selling ‘Zombie Bullets’ as police warn against new Cloud Nine drug following TWO more horrifying cannibal
The Walking Dead: Hornady Manufacturing has started selling Zombie bullets, ‘just in case’; it is live ammunition
METH MESSes You Up
- Comment on Iran
- Democracy In China Delayed
- Egypt Spring Election
- FACT Obama not a Leader
- Job Scams
- Obama and His Record
- Palestinian sic Egypt Spring
- 4th Virginia Textbook
- A Love Story
- ABC facts about China
- Acting like Assholes
- Afghanistan Behind US
- Afghanistan beyond 2011
- Afghanistan Pakistan Karzai
- Afghanistan Petraeus Karzai
- Afghanistan reality check
- Alabama what you think
- Amazing colorized photographs
- Amazing Elephant Rescue
- Amazing Technology
- American Capitalism
- American Common Sense Immigration Reform
- American Dream in trouble
- American Military History
- Another Wall Street scam
- Arab Democracy touch of reality
- Arab Spring BlowBack
- Arab Spring contrary opinion
- Arab Spring Egypt update
- Arab Spring ground zero
- Arab Spring in April
- Arab Spring in Mali cocaine
- Arab Spring Islamist Festival
- Arab Spring Outcome
- Arab Spring Reality
- Arab Spring Syria
- Arab Spring they hate US
- Arab Spring Update
- Arab Spring update
- Arab Spring update Libya
- Arizona Massacre
- Auschwitz concentration camp
- Babe Ruth family memories
- Backward with Obama
- Bad Economy and the rich
- BAD parenting means BAD kids
- Believe in the After-Life
- BEWARE Islam in America
- Beyond Devotion to Service
- Bin Laden Dead Never Forget
- Black Issues
- Boko Haram and Nigeria
- Border Crisis and Obama
- Boston Marathon Tragedy
- Break up BIG Banks
- British heroes Luftwaffe interviews
- British military decline
- Broken Government Serves Politicians
- Budget Battle Bust
- Bush Book Decision Points
- Bush broke IRAQ no ownership
- Bush’s Iraq
- Bush’s lasting legacy
- Cambridge Holiday
- Cancer is a Modern Disease
- Cancer treatment shows promise
- Change in China
- China Changes Leaders
- China Currency
- China going forward 2012
- China in Focus
- China is a Sleeping Dragon
- China IS Hacker Central
- China means cyber-warfare
- Chinese Advantages Problems
- Chinese business model
- Chinese consumerism
- Chinese Consumption
- Chinese Military Culture
- Chris Christie don’t bet on it
- Christmas 2012
- Chronology of Failure
- Class warfare Facts
- Coca Cola secret formula
- Color photography 1940s
- coming soon Mexifornia
- Comment on 2012 Candidates
- Comment on the debt limit crisis
- Common Sense about Afghanistan
- Concentration Camps
- Conflict South China Sea
- Corporations NOT PAYING taxes
- Courage Faith Jessica Lynch
- D-Day graphic
- Debt Deal Graphics
- Debt-ceiling imperative
- December 1860
- Declaration on Iran
- Decline and Fall of the American Dream
- Detroit Schools Archaeological Evidence
- Dick Cheney doinks history
- Dick Morris predicts the election
- Dick Morris spins Bain Romney
- Disgraceful Treatment of VETerans HE SAVED MANY
- Divided State of America
- Doolittle Raiders and Great War diary
- Dreams Deferred Dayton OH
- Dubya’s Disaster
- Economic Recovery – What Recovery?
- Education about education
- Education Means Individual Achievement
- Edward Snowden Dossier
- Egypt in reality
- Egypt under Morsi
- Egyptian democracy prospects
- Election 2010
- Election in Iran
- Emily Perez an example
- Endless Energy in Asia
- Energy Independence Happy Fourth
- Energy Issues
- Equality of Opportunity Based upon Merit
- European Affairs Greece
- European Civilization
- European Economics – Russia – Germany – France – Italy
- Explaining Obamacare
- Explaining the Tea Party
- Fact Check
- Facts about China
- Facts About Climate Change
- Facts About Climate Change
- Facts About Entitlements
- Facts about Financial MELTdown
- Facts about High unEmployment
- Facts about Islam
- Facts About Medicare
- Facts about Mitt Romney
- Facts about NO Leadership and You
- Facts about North Korea
- FACTS about Obamacare
- Facts about Putin
- Facts about Rick Santorum
- Facts about Taxes
- Facts about the debt deal
- Facts about the Iraq invasion
- Facts about the one perCent
- Facts about Trayvon Martin killing
- Facts on the Ground in Iraq
- Facts Rick Perry cronyism etc
- First Black Fighter Pilot Last Cavalry Charge
- Fiscal Cliff Chronology
- Fiscal Cliff Cometh
- Fiscal Cliff is here
- Flavor of the month Herman Cain
- Flood Photos
- Florida Foreclosures
- Forward with Obama
- Forward with Obamacare
- Four More Years
- Future Warfare
- Gas Attack in Syria
- Get Out of Afghanistan
- get the Money out of politics
- Global China
- Global Environmental Degradation
- Global Warming is here
- Glory of God
- Goldman Sachs Naked and exposed Historical Inequality
- GOOD news POSITIVE stories
- Governor Walker is a Republican Ideologue
- Gridlock Corruption Bureaucracy Politics
- Grover Norquist
- Gun Control
- Hackers SpyEye
- Hamas strikes out
- Hard Times then and now
- Help the Homeless
- Henry Kissinger gives advice
- Honest Abe Savior and Martyr
- How Catholic bishops operate
- How Did We Get Into This Mess
- Hurricane Sandy Tragedy no one should die alone in darkness
- Ideology is ignorance
- Illegal Immigration attitudes
- illegal immigration What You Think
- Importance of BEES Colony Collapse
- Internet Issues cyber-warfare
- Iran and the Bomb
- Islam in America
- Islam in Europe
- Italian Campaign
- Jesse Owens American Hero
- Jim Martin Letter 101st Airborne
- Jim Tressel
- Jobs Jobs Jobs
- Johnny Carson and Henry Bushkin
- Judas the Galilean and his Unterbrink writings
- Keith Olbermann ko’d
- Kennedy Assasination Eyewitnesses Video
- Kevin Phillips Predicts Future
- KFC conquers China
- Kick The comment on Comment
- La reConquista giving Our Country back to the Indians
- laissez faire capitalism – Where are the good jobs?
- Leadership Lessons
- Life in China
- Life in France
- Life in the United Kingdom
- Life in the United States of America
- Likely Libya Outcome
- Link to tornado videos
- Litigation in Libya
- Living in Paris
- Manufacturing creates wealth
- Marilyn Monroe unseen photographs
- Marine Life dying coral
- Media Bias
- Memorial Day 2013
- METH MESSes You Up
- Michael Redd Bucks
- Middle Class economy 21st cen
- Middle Class fACTs
- Middle Class Stories Change for the American Dream
- Middle East History
- Middle East History Egypt Libya
- Middle East History Syria
- Middle East History Turkey
- Militant Islam
- Mindless VIOLENCE and Senseless Cruelty
- Mitt Romney Bain Capital 2012 election
- More Climate Change FACTS
- MORE Divided than Ever
- More of the Same?
- MORE Soldier Stories HELP Taylor Morris
- Mullahs want the bomb
- Muslim Brotherhood revealed
- Muslim Democracy
- Neil Armstrong last interview
- Never Forget 9 11 Essay
- NEW 9-11 video
- New Pearl Harbor account
- Newsweek how Dumb Are We?
- Norway Nutjob Anders Behring Breivik
- NYC imam True Face of Islam
- Obama abandons white working class
- Obama AD 2010
- Obama affect on America
- Obama and Middle East Peace
- Obama and Syria
- Obama foreign and domestic
- Obama is a Phony
- Obama no sense of humor
- Obama not the anti-Christ
- Obama Re-elected Watch Out
- Obama Scorecard
- Obama supports gay marriage
- Obamacare is Poison
- Oceans are dying SOS planet
- Ohio State Marching Band Star Trek Video
- Oil Prices means speculators
- Old Men Who Don’t Care
- On Planet Krauthammer
- Opinion about Fracking
- Opinion about Newt Gingrich
- Opinion About Obama
- Opinion About Obamacare
- Opinion about Romney
- Oregon Somali Terrorist
- Our country committing suicide
- Our Friends in Pakistan
- Pakistan Protected Osama bin-Laden updated
- Palin a Phony?
- Palin Book Tour
- past Present FUTURE America
- Pay Attention
- PEOPLE are more important than profits
- People Need Good Jobs
- Pluto in Capricorn
- Polar Bear Family
- Political Correctness in the UK
- Prairie Chapel Ranch
- Pray for the Children
- Pray for the Children
- Predatory Chinese
- President Cruz le Snooze le Pew
- President Santorum
- Progress in Iraq no democracy
- Rare Earth
- Read This MEMO
- Reality for Millenials
- Reality in Libya
- Remembering the Great War
- Republican Mandate?
- Robert Bales should be executed
- Rolling Stones at Fifty
- Romney and Afghanistan
- Romney and His Record
- Romney no military service
- Ron Paul
- Ronald Reagan Tax Review
- Ronald Reagan true myths
- SAD Obama
- San Jose veteran youtube video
- Santa Muerte
- Screwing US
- Secure Protect Your Data
- See The Evidence PHOTOGRAPHS
- Sesquicentennial of the Civil War
- Sgt Dennis Weichel and Afghanistan
- Snow Scenes around the world
- Soldier Stories
- Something You Should Hear and See
- Spirit in the Sky Classic Rock
- SSG Johnson surprises Skylar – HAPPY
- State by State casualties Afghanistan
- State of our Democracy
- State of the Economy
- Stories about the After life Service is the currency of Salvation
- Stories World War I and II
- Supercommittee FAILure
- Syrian Spring updated
- Tea Party Hearty
- Ten Conditions for Change
- Ten Conditions for Change I
- Ten Conditions for Change II
- The 911 Conspiracy
- The Connected Class con
- The FED is private
- The Great Helmsman
- The Know Nothing President-cy
- The Kremlin
- The Military Industrial Complex
- The Religion of Peace-Pieces
- The Rich Get Richer
- There are the Jobs
- This Is EVIL
- Trump for President
- Truth to power The People
- Tsar Putin the Terrible
- Tunisian Revolution
- UNDERWATER PHOTOGRAPHY
- Unfair Competition equals Free Trade
- Vanished Dynasties
- Vanishing America
- Veterans Aging Prematurely
- Veterans Issues
- Washington’s Farewell Address
- Waterloo and Trafalgar
- WEAKest President in History
- What About Hillary?
- What about Scientology
- What Does Romney Stand For
- What I wrote in 2008
- What President Morsi Really Thinks
- What you think about Obama
- What you think about Romney
- Where is Obama?
- who cares gr$$dy NFL
- Who lost Iraq, Vietnam, China?
- Why Americans hate their government
- Why Romney Lost
- Why the Arab Spring is important
- Wicked Winter Weather
- Wisdom about Fools
- World War Two obituaries
- Xi Jinping and China
- Xi Jinping new leader in China
- Zero Some Game